1.22.2009

All This AND She Can Burp the Alphabet

Laura's analysis of the soup was in an email response and is copied here: "I'm sleepy but as I initialed Reid's behavior chart, picked up Sarah Mia's now fuzz-covered-and-no-longer-sticky collection and checked on Lollybear and her ear infection one last time for the night I REMEMBERED! Bobo said that there was a picture of the soup and I never checked on it! How could I have forgotten...So, here's my theory: the color of the soup has a yellow hue which no amount of cream would cause (it would turn pink) so there are several amazing ingredients that could cause the lightening of color: roasted and peeled sweet yellow peppers, a large quantity of sauteed shallots or vidalia onions (although both greatly sweetened and having their 'bite' much lessened by the saute, the shallots would lend a generally softer hint of carmelized earthiness), or peeled and oven roasted or boiled (although boiled will be more grainy) yukon gold potatoes. All of these or a little bit of each would be great. In the past I've always added any leftover, several day old long grain jasmine rice to my tomato soup--the starch adds a less fattening creaminess to the soup, especially if you take out half of the soup after adding the rice, process it in the blender and add it back to the simmering pot. More thoughts for the bulk of the soup would be to add stewed or fire-roasted tomatoes (Wal-mart even sells them in a can!)--most cream based soups use some variation of half and half, heavy whipping cream or evaporated milk...after carmelizing your shallot, oven roasting the yellow peppers, and adding at least 28 oz. of fire roasted tomatoes, I would add a small amount, 1/4c. -1/2c. cream followed by enough chicken broth to thin the soup to your desired consistency. For the pesto cream, I'd make a pesto out of cashews, pine nuts or walnuts, adding fresh basil, olive oil, and a small clove of fresh garlic. To make the cream, I would combine 1 Tbsp. of the pesto mixture and blend it with sour cream, plain greek yogurt or whipping cream. Before adding the cream pesto, taste the soup for salt, but don't add too much pepper, and tell me how it works out..."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

J&S: Dave and Al here. We just went through the whole blog to fill in the gaps of what's been going on in Alaska. It looks amazing. We wish we were there. I think Al wants the wolverine trapper hat to wear to her next PETA convention. My favorite thing on the blog is the video footage of the MOOSE in the yard. Pretty sweet! We're praying for you guys and send us your landline when you get a chance. sentelle@musc.edu

1/25/09, 2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home