6.26.2009

The End (But Not Really).

We hugged Bob and Bebe goodbye and came back into the house. I filled the tub with hot water and rested motionless in a bath for some time, only my eyes and nose above water, my hair floating around my head, ears full of a deep, muffled nothingness, while something like this (see video) passed through my mind. After a good sob and an even better scrubbing, I hopped out onto the dense bleached-white rug with bare feet, wrapped myself in a thick, oversized towel, and sighed. Walking out of the bathroom, my hand grazed the wall-plate (with its three oddly arranged switches) to turn off the light in the natural way that only the master of a house would know. And in that humbled manner with which the cradle of the heart has a way of responding, the truth of the moment was tangible: We were, finally, home.

12 Comments:

Blogger Breen said...

seriously. tears in my eyes. i am so glad yall are home. but what an amazing experience. i loved the video. im sure it only captured a tiny part of what yall got to experience, but thanks for sharing! love yall and hope to see yall soon!!

6/26/09, 6:19 PM  
Blogger 503 Photography said...

Wow. I'm at a loss for words ... well, they're stirring in my head right now leaving me in an almost overwhelming state of mind. I love you for not only noticing all the details, but for having the presence of mind to document them. That was the best 6 minutes I've feasted my eyes to in a long time.

6/26/09, 7:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome home guys...and thanks for leting us tag along...it was a true lesson in living life to the fullest...not sure anyone else could ever do and experience so much in 6 months--

6/26/09, 8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how I've enjoyed this blog. You are so artistically talented! Please tell me you will keep blogging . . .

Cherie

6/27/09, 10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Good luck Jim on your first day of school : ) I hope to see both of you soon. Please keep the blog going!

Love,
Jennie Clark

6/29/09, 8:57 AM  
Anonymous Tami Ryan said...

Hey guys... I know all of your friends back home are happy you are there but my heart is so sad that you aren't here with me. I will try to make my blog as great as yours. I sure do miss you guys. Jim good luck in school. I will be praying for you!

*tami

6/29/09, 11:47 AM  
Blogger Evelyn & Floyd said...

and i, love this, friend.

6/29/09, 1:44 PM  
Blogger The Batts said...

incredible video! i can't wait to se you both...ya'll are so great!

6/29/09, 5:41 PM  
Anonymous Renee said...

loved the video - i couldn't get it to work the other day so, glad i tried again. can't wait to hear many more stories over lunch and layout (with sunscreen) time in Chas;)

7/2/09, 5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the video! You have such a gift!! Thanks for sharing so much of your adventure with us! We can't wait to see you both now that you are back.

love, all the winks

7/21/09, 5:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i hope you will continue the blog, you still have so much going on in your lives, and we love to see how you tackle it and succeed...you are awesome.
love
mom

7/27/09, 4:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the name of this song? Dr. Lim

11/5/09, 9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home